Moldovan media inform of fake news
In the process of preparing for the seminars in Moldova of our project “Media, influence on opinion, human rights” I had to study a large amount of information about the phenomenon of fake news.
In recent years, this phenomenon has gained a truly international and global scale. The influence of misinformation has increased many times due to a sharp reduction in the time from the appearance of such news in a single source to its mass distribution on the network among millions of users.
Numerous studies, conferences, discussions at different levels are trying to answer questions on how to cope with this phenomenon, how to limit the impact or at least minimize the consequences of the spread of misinformation among consumers of digital content.
Young people are particularly susceptible to new ways of communication. We must state the fact that the younger generation lives in the virtual world of social networks for most of their lives. And those who are trying to do something in the field of educating young people about the dangers that exist in this digital world need to find ways to inform how to convey to young people the idea that not everything is as easy and safe as it seems at first glance.
According to the survey, what types of threats the Republic of Moldova is exposed to (political, informational, economic, military), 40% of respondents said that the biggest hybrid threat for Moldova is informational (propaganda, misinformation and fake news). Another 28% think that we are talking about hybrid threats of a political nature.
In the process of searching among the information resources of Moldova, I came across several interesting, in my opinion, projects that try to analyze, educate, inform, what is fake reality, what are the signs of fake information.
- stopfals.md – One of the most famous portals in Moldova, which is trying to detect false news and manipulations in the media. As a rule, it publishes a detailed analysis and evidence of why the news is fake. The portal also has a Facebook page that you can subscribe to..
- „dezinfaketarea” – TV program with host Anna Syrbu. Every Tuesday and Thursday at 19:40 on the Moldavian television channel TV8, Anna Syrbu talks about the fake news in Moldovan and international media. Broadcasting is in Romanian.
- https://ru.diez.md/ – Moldovan youth site. In addition to the most varied information for the youth of Moldova, it also has a separate column, which contains information on the disclosures of fake news.
- Often you can also find materials on popular news portals about fake news. For example, the Moldovan news portal newsmaker.md often covers this phenomenon in its articles.
- Another large and interesting project was implemented by the altfel.md portal. Several short videos have been recorded that are specifically targeted at a youth audience. Unfortunately, judging by the views, they did not receive due attention. I would like to give some videos from the cycle “Alphabet Media for Youth»
All videos can be viewed at the following link Altfel
Already recorded 25 videos in Russian and Romanian. And I think this approach is good. The only thing that would be good if such videos were distributed in the news feeds of our media resources.
It can be said that serious independent Moldovan media pay some attention to exposing fake news. But as we see, these efforts should be undertaken on an ongoing basis, involving as large segments of the population as possible.